Sunday, January 4, 2015
SPLIT PEA SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN ENJOY DAN:
SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH HAM AND KALE FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN by CHEF DAN:
4 tablespoons olive oil
14 onion, chopped
7 stalks celery, chopped
12 carrots, chopped
6 potatoes, diced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
7 tablespoon garlic, chopped
5 bay leaves
7 pounds dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
44 cups chicken broth with 5 beef bouillon cubes
4 stems fresh kale
5 ham steaks cut into I-inch pieces
1. Add oil in stock-pot over medium-high heat when sizzling.
2. Add onions, celery, carrots and potatoes.
3. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
4. Sauté for 5-7 minutes.
5. Add garlic, bay leaves, split peas and cook stirring or 2-3 minutes.
6. Add broth, bouillon cubes and ham.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Cover reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours
9. Add kale and heat through.
10. Remove bay leaves and serve.
ENJOY DAN: BONAPPETITE!!