Wednesday, January 4, 2012
PORK CHOPS WITH ORANGE SAUCE by CHEF DAN:
4 bone-in pork loin chops
1 tablespoon grape-seed oil
1 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4-cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic clove, minced
1/2-teaspoons dried thyme
1/2-teaspoon orange peel
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS: (PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 400 DEGREES)
1. Combine orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, orange peel, and thyme, set aside.
2. Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
3. In an over-proof skillet heat oil over high heat, add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
4. Add shallots and sauté 2 minutes.
5. Add pork chops and sear until browned, 1-2 minutes per side.
6. Transfer skillet to the oven and bake about 5 minutes.
7. Transfer the pork chops to a plate and cover with foil.
8. Add the orange juice mixture to the hot skillet and cook over high-heat until the mixture is reduced by half.
9. Return chops to the skillet, heat through, turning to coat.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!
WHEAT BERRY SALAD WITH BLUEBERRIES by CHEF DAN:
1 cup faro (wheat berries)
2 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup celery
1 cup apples, chopped
1/2-cup dried cranberries
1/2-cup dried tart cherries
1/4-cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoons coriander
1/2-cup walnuts, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste
1. Put wheat berries in a bowl of water, covered by 2-inches of water.
2. Let set for 1 hour.
4. Put 7 cups of water into a pot and bring to a boil.
5. Add wheat berries, reduce heat and simmer for 40-50 minutes.
6. Drain and rinse in cold water.
7. Combine wheat berries, blueberries, celery, apples, cranberries, and cherries.
8. Combine oil, vinegar, cumin, coriander, and honey in a bowl and whisk until combined.
9. Drizzle vinegar mixture over wheat berry mixture.
10. Top with chopped walnuts.
11. Sat and pepper to taste.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETIT!!
Sunday, January 1, 2012
HOPPING’ DAN’S NEW YEARS SOUP FOR LUCK OR MONEY by CHEF DAN
Serves 30-40 (BLACK EYED PEAS ARE FOR LUCK AND GREENS ARE FOR MONEY)
1 large ham bone
5 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 packages of spinach or 1 bunch Swiss chard, or kale
10 stalks of celery, chopped
1 (52oz) cans Black eyed peas
22 cups ham stock
4 cups ham, chopped
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoons Creole seasoning
1 tablespoon dried thyme or several springs of fresh thyme
8 cups white rice
1. In a soup pot add home bone and cover with water and bring to a boil and then simmer for 2-3 hours.
2. Place broth in the refrigerator overnight and then de-fat.
3. In another stock pot add onions and celery and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
4. Add ham broth, ham, Black eyed peas, smoked paprika, Creole seasoning, and thyme springs.
5. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour.
6. Add rice, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
7. Add spinach and cook for 10 minutes.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!