Thursday, January 29, 2015
POTATO CABBAGE SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN ENJOY DAN:
ULTIMATE POTATO CABBAGE SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN by CHEF DAN:
2 head of cabbage, finely sliced
7 stalks celery, diced
10 carrots, thinly sliced
4 onions, chopped
10 cloves of garlic, smashed
30 potatoes, cubed
22 cups vegetarian stock
4 tablespoon butter, divided
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart of half and half
1 tablespoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon EACH coriander seeds, fennel seeds, and cumin seeds
A handful fresh cilantro, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Combine the cabbage, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and 2 tablespoons butter, and olive oil in stock-pot over medium-high.
2. Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add stock and potatoes, bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5. In a sauce-pan melt 2 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat.
6. Whisk in the flour, cook stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
7. Whisk in half-half, tarragon, seeds and cilantro.
8. Bring cream mixture to a boil and cook stirring constantly, until thickened.
9. Stir cream mixture into the stock-pot.
10. Puree about 1/2-the soup and return to stock-pot.
11. Adjust seasoning to taste.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!