Wednesday, November 22, 2017
OCTAPODI KOKKINSTO GREEK OCTOPUS by CHEFF DAN:
1 small octopus, about 2 pounds
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 leeks, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cylinders
3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 (15.5 Oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 orange, with skin, cut into small triangular segments
1 teaspoon EACH curry powder, red chili powder, and garam masala
3 springs fresh thyme
1/2-cup pitted green olives
1/2-cup pitted Kalamata olives
1. Clean the octopus.
2. Remove the hood and then using a sharp knife remove the beak.
3. Cut the hood into 1-inch wide strips.
4. Cut the octopus into 8 pieces along with the tentacles.
5. In a skillet over low-heat, add 2 tablespoon olive oil and when sizzling.
6. Cook leeks in the oil for 14 minutes or until they start to caramelize.
7. Meanwhile in a stock pot het remining oil over medium-low heat.
8. Stir in garlic, then add octopus tentacles and hood and stir.
9. Cover and cook until octopus turn a deep pink.
10. Add leeks, black pepper and next 6 ingredients.
11. Season with salt and pepper.
12. Cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes.
13. 10 minutes before serving add olives.
ENJOY DAN: EAT SEAFOOD AND ENJOY LIFE!!
HOLIDAY SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOW CREAM by CHEF DAN:
4 sweet potatoes
1/2-cup brown sugar
1 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon EACH vanilla extract and cinnamon
1-1/2-teaspoos EACH sea salt, pumpkin spice, and nutmeg
1-cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
3/4-cup all-purpose flour
3/4-stick butter, melted
1 (7 Oz) jar marshmallow cream
DIRECTIONS: (PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 F)
1. In a preheated oven bake sweet for 30 35 minutes or until fork tender.
2. Slice open and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
3. Add brown sugar, and next 7 ingredients.
4. With a potato masher, mash them up just enough, you don’t want perfectly smooth.
5. In a separate bowl, add brown sugar, chopped pecans, flour, and melted butter.
6. Mix until thoroughly combined.
7. Spread sweet potato mixture in a prepared baking dish.
8. Add marshmallow cream over the sweet potato mixture.
9. Sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top.
10 Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!
Monday, November 20, 2017
CURRY SPLIT PEA SOUP MY WAY by CHEF DAN:
2-garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2-tablespoon fresh ginger
1-teaspoon EACH turmeric, garam masala and tandoori masala
2-teaspoon EACH cumin, and curry powder
1-roasted sweet potatoes
1cup EACH frozen peas, carrots, and cauliflower
2-cups split peas
6 cups vegetable broth
1 (19 Oz) can Mar Ploy coconut milk
1/3-cup orange juice
1-cup mustard greens for garnish
1. In a stock pot, warm the butter over medium-heat and when sizzling.
2. Add onion and season with salt and pepper; sauté for 4 minutes.
3. Add ginger and next 11 ingredients.
4. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to a genital simmer.
6. Cover and cook 50 minutes.
7. With an immersion blender, blend until almost smooth.
8. Stir in coconut milk, and orange juice.
ENJOY DAN: SING SONGS AND EAT SOUP!!
Sunday, November 19, 2017
SLOW COOKER HOT SPICED APPLE CIDER by CHEF DAN:
Makes 8 cups
2 quarts apple cider
6 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon EACH allspice berries and juniper berries, crushed
Rum of your choice optimal
Additional cinnamon sticks for serving
1. Wrap allspice berries and juniper berries in cheesecloth.
2. Pour apple cider into a crock pot.
3. Add cinnamon sticks, allspice and juniper berries.
4. With a toothpick, poke holes all around the orange 1/2-1-inch apart.
5. Place orange into cider in the slow cooker.
6. Cook on low until hot and spiced through, about 4 hours.
7. Ladle into mugs along an ounce of rum if using.
8. Place a cinnamon stick in each mug and serve.
ENJOY DAN: FOR THE LOVE OF FOOD AND DRINK!!
JAPANESE STYLE PANCAKES WITH BLUEBERRY SAUCE by CHEF DAN:
JAPANESE STLE PANCAKES:
3/4-cup almond milk
3 tablespoon sugar + 1 teaspoon
1-1/2-cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4-teaspoon baking soda
1. In a bowl add the eggs and whisk quickly.
2. Then add the milk and vanilla, then add the sugar and whisk.
3. Then add the flour, baking powder and baking soda whisk to incorporate well.
4. Let batter sit for 15 minutes.
5. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and using a pastry brush.
6. Brush the inside of a ring mold with oil.
7. Add remining oil to the skillet, place ring in center of the skillet.
8. Let heat up for a few minutes and then pour batter into the mold until it is half full.
9. Cook the pancake for four minutes or until bubbles start to form on top
10 Use a spatula to carefully flip the pancake and mold over and cook 3 more minutes or until golden brown.
11 Serve with blueberry sauce or pure maple syrup
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 teaspoons corn starch
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Combine all ingredients in a skillet.
2. Let blueberries cook down until they burst, and sauce has thickened.
3. Transfer to glass bowl and set aside.
ENJOY DAN: BE STRONG KEEP FAITH!!
WAFFLES WITH APPLE CIDER MAPLE SYRUP by CHEF DAN:
APPLE CIDER MAPLE SYRUP:
1 cup apple cider
1 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1. In a saucepan, combine apple cider and syrup and bring to a boil.
2. Sir often to prevent syrup from burning.
3. Once syrup has a thick consistency, turn off heat.
4. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
5. Serve the waffles on a plate and drizzle a good amount of syrup.
2-1/4-cups Original Bisquick mix
1-1/4-cups almond milk
2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8-teaspoon EACH ground coriander and ground nutmeg
1/2-apple finely chopped peeled apple
1. Heat waffle iron sprayed with Pam before each batter is added.
2. In a bowl stir in all waffle ingredients except apple.
3. Blend well then stir in apple.
4. Pour batter onto center of ho waffle-iron.
5. Close lid and bake for 5 minutes or until steam stops.
6. Remove and serve with syrup.
ENJOY DAN: FOR THE LOVE OF FOOD!!
HAZELNUT CRUSTED CHICKEN TENDERS by CHEF DAN:
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3-cup toasted and finely chopped hazelnuts
1-1/2-teaspoon dried sage
1/2- teaspoon EACH garlic powder and ginger powder
1-pound skinless, boneless chicken tender
4 teaspoon olive oil, divided
1 shallot, chopped
3/4-cup chicken stock
1-cup-Pinot Gris wine or ruby port or other sweet wine
1/4-cup tart cranberries
2 teaspoons EACH butter, and balsamic vinegar
DIRECTIONS; (PREHEAT OVEN TO 425 F)
1. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet; coat with Pam.
2. Combine mustard and egg in a dish, stirring with a whisk.
3. Combine Panko and the next 4 ingredients in a bowl.
4. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Dip chicken in egg mixture; dredge in panko mixture, pressing to adhere.
6. Add 1 tablespoon oil to a skillet over medium-heat and when sizzling.
7. Add chicken tender and 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
8. Place chicken on prepared rack and bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.
9. Whip skillet clean and add remaining 1 teaspoons oil to the skillet.
10 Add shallot and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
11 Add chicken stock, wine, and cranberries; bring to a boil.
12 Reduce heat to simmer for 4 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half
13 Remove from heat and add butter and balsamic vinegar.
14 Stirring until butter melts.
15 Spoon mixture over baked chicken tenders.
ENJOY DAN: EATING VEGTABLES AND CHICKEN!!