Tuesday, January 16, 2018
SQUID AND OCTOPUS MARINATE by CHEF DAN:
1/2- pound squid
1/2-pound baby octopus
1 cucumber, slice on a mandolin
2 tablespoons Korean red chili pepper (gochujang)
1 tablespoon EACH soy sauce, mirin, and lemon juice
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2 coves garlic, smashed
1 thumb-size fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1. Rinse the squid and octopus under cold running water.
2. Combine the marinate ingredients.
3. Pour over squid and octopus and mix to coat well.
4. Marinate for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
5. Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium-heat when sizzling.
6. Add squid and octopus sear for bout 2- 3 minutes (NO LONGER)
7. Top with toasted sesame seeds.
8. Place cucumber slice on the side and serve.
ENJOY DAN; SING SONGS AND EAT OCTOPUS!!
Monday, January 15, 2018
FRENCH ONION SOUP MY WAY by CHEF DAN:
2 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
2 garlic cloves, smashed
7 cup beef stock
1/2 cup red wine.
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon EACH dried thyme, paprika, and lemon pepper
3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoon Brandy
4-inch-thick slices French bread or baguette
1/2-cup grated Swiss Gruyere
1. In a stock pot, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium-heat and when sizzling.
2. Add onions, and toss to coat with the butter
3. Saute the onions, stirring often, until they have softened, 15-20 minutes.
4. Increase the heat to medium-high, adding olive oil and remaining butter.
5. Cook stirring often until the onions start to brown about 15 more minutes.
6. Sprinkle with sugar and some salt and sauté for 15 minutes more.
7. Ad the garlic and sauté 1 minute.
8. Deglaze the pot with the red wine, scraping up the browned bits.
9. Add stock, bay leaves and next 4 ingredients.
10 Cover and lower heat, and bring to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.
11 Discard bay leaves and add Brandy.
TOAST FRENCH BREAD SLICES. (PREHEAT OVEN TO 450 F)
1. Brush both sides of French bread with olive oil.
2. Put in the oven and toast until lightly toasted 5-7 minutes.
3. Turn the toast over and sprinkle with Gruyere cheese.
4. Return to oven, bake until cheese is bubbly.
1. Ladle soup into bowls and place 1 cheese toast on the top of each bowl
ENJOY DAN: SING SONGS AND EAT ONION SOUP!!
TEXAS STYLE CHILE MY WAY by CHEF DAN:
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups beef broth
1/2-pound ground beef
1/2-pounc ground sausage
3 pounds beef tip roast, cut into cubes
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, smashed
1 cup bacon bits
1 tablespoon EACH cumin, dry mustard, and turmeric
2 teaspoons EACH dried oregano, jalapeno powder, and paprika
3 tablespoon chili powder
2 canned chipotles, in adobo sauce, sliced
1 (15.2 Oz) can corn
1 (15.5 Oz) cans EACH black bean, pinto, garbanzo, red, and navy beans
2 (10.5 Oz) cans ROT*EL tomatoes with green chilies
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4-cup unsweetened chocolate chips
2 tablespoons instant expresso coffee
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat brown beef and sausage until browned.
2. Transfer to a prepared crock-pot.
3. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and brown cubed meat in batches until browned and the transfer to the crock pot.
4. Add 2 tablespoon oil and when sizzling add onion and sauté 4 minutes.
5. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
6. Add to the crock pot.
7. Add bacon bits and remaining ingredients to the crock pot.
8. Stir to combine.
9. Cook on low for 5 hours
10. Garnish with Mexican sour cream, scallions, and cilantro.
ENJOY DAN: SING SONGS AND EAT CHILI!!
PROSCIUTTO WRAPPED DATES by CHEF DAN:
1/2- cup goat cheese
1/4-cup toasted chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon shallots, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, remove stems, seeds, and ribs, finely mince
Season with salt and pepper to taste
20 dates, pitted, cut down the middle leaving whole
10 slices prosciutto, halved lengthwise
DIRECTIONS: (PREHEAT OVENT TO 375 F)
1. COMBINE goat cheese and next 4 ingredients.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. FILL dates with 1 teaspoon of goat cheese mixture.
4. Wrap dates with halved prosciutto slices and secure with toothpicks.
5. Transfer to a baking sheet, cover, and chill for 30 minutes.
6. BAKE in preheat oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!
Sunday, January 14, 2018
GREEN BEANS AND CUCUMBERS WITH MISO DRESSING!!
1 English cucumber-sliced
1-pound green beans, trimmed
1 thumb-size fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1poblano pepper, blackened and sliced
4 tablespoons miso dressing
1/3-cup chicken stock
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and sliced scallions
1. Ste am or boil beans until tender crisp, about 3-5 minutes.
2. In a bowl add cucumber and cooked beans.
3. In skillet whisk together dressing ingredients and bring to a boil.
4. Cook 1 minute.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature.
6. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
ENJOY DAN: EAT HEALTHY EAT VEGETABLES!!
Saturday, January 13, 2018
TEXAS STYLE CHILI by CHEF DAN:
4 dried Chili Mulato chili pods
4 dried Chile Cascabel
4 Chile Jalapenos
4 dried Ancho peppers
2 canned chipotles, chilies in adobo sauce
1/4-cup olive oil
1 4-5-pound boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into I-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup bacon bits
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4-cup unsweetned chocolate chips
2 tablespoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoon EACH dried oregano, jalapeno powder, and paprika
1 bottle stout beer
3 cups beef broth
1. Remove stems and seeds from the dried chilies.
2. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and toasted the chilies.
3. Heat until the chilies just start to darken and become shinny.
4. Remove to a bowl, and pour boiling water over them, cover and let sit for 30 minutes reserving 3-cups Chile water.
5. Drain the chilies and transfer to a blender along 1/2-cup soaking water.
6. Add chipotle and adobo sauce and puree until smooth.
7. Add the olive oil to the pot over medium -high heat and when sizzling.
8. Season the beef, working in batches, add the meat, brown on all sides.
9. Remove beef to a plate.
10 Reduce the heat to medium-low; add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes
11 Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
12 Add bacon bits and next 9 ingredients, increase to high, stir in chili puree, bring to a boil.
13 Add meat back to the pot among with 2-1/2-cups chili soaking water.
14 Partially cover the pot and simmer over low-heat for 3-1/2-4 hours.
15 Skim off any fat from the top, season with salt and pepper
16 Garnish with Mexican sour cream, scallions, and cilantro.
ENJOY DAN: EAT HEALTHY EAT CHILES!!
ROASTED SWEET POTATO AND APPLE SOUP by CHEF DAN:
1 tablespoon butter
2 sweet potatoes
1 baker potato,
1 onion, diced
1 shallot, minced
2 carrots, peeled, seeded, cut into cubes
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
1 teaspoon mint leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter in a soup-pot.
2. Add the onion, and shallot, sauté over medium-heat for 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat, add sweet potatoes and next 4 ingredients and sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add chicken stock and water, simmer for 30 minutes.
5. With an immersion blender blend soup until creamy and smooth.
6. Add mint leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!