Thursday, January 15, 2015
MERCADO BOYZ EMPANADAS PARTY ENJOY DAN:
THE MERCADO BOYZ EMPANADAS PARTY by CHEF DAN:
Serves 10-12 empandsas
3 cups masa dough
1 sweet potato, cooked
1-3/4-cup unsalted butter
1-3/4-cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, mashed into paste
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoon lime zest
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 jalapeno, minced
1-cup shrimp, peeled and deveined, chopped fine
2 tablespoon lime juice
1/2-cup coconut milk
1 egg lightly beaten
DIRECTIONS: (PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES)
1. In a bowl mash cooked sweet potato with a potato masher.
2. Mix in the butter and flour, baking powder, amid salt.
3. Kneading gently to smooth dough adding a little more flour if it gets sticky.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 30 minutes.
5. In a skillet heat oil over medium-heat when sizzling.
6. Add the onion garlic paste, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, zest, and balsamic vinegar.
7. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring a few times with a wooden spoon.
8. Add shrimp and lime juice, cook until liquid has evaporated, sprinkle with flour mixing well.
9. Add coconut milk and cook, stirring, to obtain creamy consistency.
10. Remove from heat and let cool.
11. To assemble, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8-inch thick.
12. Cut into 3-inch circles.
13. Place 1 level tablespoon of the filling in the center of each circle.
14. Fold over into a crescent shape and press the edges with a fork.
15. Brush with egg mixture and bake in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!