Saturday, December 31, 2016
SLOW COOKED ROOT VEGETABLES FROM WILLOWOOD FARMS by CHEF DAN:
1/2-large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
1 hakurei turnips
1 sun choke (Jerusalem artichoke)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 large parsnips, peeled and cubed
2 large carrots, peeled and cubed
2 Chioggia beets, peeled and cubed
1 celeriac celery root, peeled and cubed
1 jicama, peeled and cubed
3 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
2 teaspoon each garlic powder, and onion powder
1 teaspoon EACH ground cumin, ground ginger, and ground turmeric
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Black Pepper Medley
1 (16 Oz) box vegetable broth
DIRECTIONS: (PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 F)
1. Toss rutabagas and next 9 ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Toss until well combined with oil and chili sauce
3. Season with garlic powder and next 7 ingredients:
4. Toss again to coat evenly.
5. Toss all ingredients into the crock pot.
6. Add vegetable broth.
7. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours.
ENJOY DAN: SING SONGS AND PLANT ROOT SEEDS!!
CHAMPAGNE RISOTTO WITH SHRIMP FOR NEW YEAR’S EVE by CHEF DAN:
3 cups vegetable broth
12 asparagus spears, cut on the bias into 1-inch lengths
2 bell peppers
3 tablespoon butter, divided
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 shallot, finely chopped
3/4-cup Superfineo Arborio Rice
1/4-cup finely grated Parmesan
1/2-pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4-teaspoon kosher salt
1/2-teaspoon Seasoned Pepper Medley
1. Blacken bell peppers on a gas grill and heat until charred.
2. Place in a paper bag until cool, when cool remove skin and slice into stripes.
3. In a saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer.
5. Blanch the asparagus in the broth for 2 minutes.
6. Remove asparagus with a slotted spoon.
7. Set asparagus aside and keep broth to a low simmer.
8. In another saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter when sizzling.
9. Add garlic and shallots and sauté for 3 minutes.
10. Add the Champagne and simmer until the liquid has almost evaporated, about 3 minutes.
11. Add 1/2-cup of the simmering broth and stir until almost completely absorbed, about 2 minutes.
12. Continue cooking the rice, adding broth 1/2-cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each additions of broth to absorb before adding the next, until rice is tender but still firm to the bit and mixture is creamy, about 25-30 minutes.
13. Take of heat add 1 tablespoon butter, asparagus, bell pepper, cheese, and saffron, stir to incorporate.
14. Season shrimp with salt and pepper to taste.
15. In a skillet over add remaining butter over medium-high heat when sizzling.
16. Add shrimp and sauté until just firm and bright pink, about 3-4 minutes.
17. Serve over risotto mixture.
ENJOY DAN: FRUGAL CHEF DAN!!
CREAMY RISOTTO WITH SHRIMP by CHEF DAN:
2 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4-teaspoons kosher salt, and a pinch of ground pepper
1/2-cup Roland Superfineo Arborio Rice
1/2-cup EACH peas and edamame
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon saffron
1/8-cup Parmesan freshly grated
1/2-pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2-teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Heat broth and keep warm.
2. Heat1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat and when sizzling.
3. Add shallots, garlic, and a splash of salt and pepper sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add rice and stir to coat in oil; stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
5. Add sherry, bring to a simmer, and cook until sherry is absorbed.
6. Reduce heat to medium and 1-1/2-cup of warm broth.
7. Stirring constantly, until liquid is completely absorbed.
8. Adding 1/2-cup at a time, cooking and stirring until broth is absorbed each time and rice al dente, 25-30 minutes.
9. Add peas and edamame, cook 3 minutes.
10. Take off heat and add butter, saffron, cream, and cheese, stir until incorporated.
11. Season shrimp with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.
12. In skillet add remaining oil over medium-high heat when sizzling.
13. Add shrimp and sauté until just firm and bright pink, about 3-4 minutes.
14. Serve over risotto.
ENJOY DAN: FRUGAL CHEF!!
Thursday, December 29, 2016
SQUID TENTACLES STIR-FRY by CHEF DAN:
FOR THE SQUID:
2 (13 Oz) squid tentacles
4 tablespoons rice flour
1 tablespoon Seasoned Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
2 tablespoon vegetable oil for frying
FOR THE STIR-FRY:
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves
1 thumb-size fresh ginger
1 red bell pepper, slice into thin stripes
8 crimini mushrooms, quartered
1 cup snow peas
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon yellow chili paste
2 scallions, finely sliced
1 red chili finely sliced
1. Rinse tentacles thoroughly under running water.
2. Cut into 1-inch sections.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, blanch the squid tentacles for 1 minutes.
4. Set aside.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil to a wok until sizzling.
6. Add onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes, add carrot, garlic and ginger, sauté for 1 more minute stirring often.
7. Add bell pepper and next 4 ingredients, and cook 3 minutes.
8. Mix rice flour with salt and pepper to dust the squid pieces in the mix.
9. Shake off the excess and fry in the wok for 2 minutes.
10. Garnish with scallions, and chili.
ENJOY DAN: HEART AND SOUL IN THE KITCHEN!!
Wednesday, December 28, 2016
SEARED TUNA WITH AVOCDO SOY, GARLIC, AND GINGER, by CHEF DAN:
2 (6 Oz) block sushi-quality tuna
2 big handfuls of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoon mirin
1-1/2-tablespoon soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 thumb-size fresh ginger, minced
1/2-teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4-teaspoon Seasoned Black Pepper
Sea salt to taste
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 ripe avocado, halved, peeled, pitted and sliced
1. In a mixing bowl, combine cilantro and next 7 ingredients and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
2. Stir ingredients until incorporated.
3. Season the tuna with salt and pepper to taste.
4. In a skillet add remaining oil over medium-high heat when sizzling.
5. Lay the tuna on the hot oil and sear for 1 minute on each side to form a slight crust.
6. Pour 1/2-of the cilantro mixture into the skillet to coat the tuna.
7. Serve the seared turn with the sliced avocado and remining cilantro sauce.
8. Drizzle over the entire plate.
ENJOY DAN: LIVE, LOVE LAUGH AND PLANT SEEDS!!
SPICY SAUSAGE DIP FOR NEW YEAR’S EVE by CHEF DAN:
Makes 2 quarts
1-pound Texas 2 Style Chorizo sausage
1-Bunch green scallions, minced
2-(10.5 Oz) cans RO*TEL hot tomatoes with green chilies
1-16 Oz) package Mexican Crema (recipe to follow)
1-(8 Oz) package cream cheese
1/2-cup diced hot peppers
Hot sauce (Frank’s extra hot Red-hot sauce
1. Place pork sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Saute for about 7 minutes or until crumbled and brown.
3. Drain the grease and add hot peppers; sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Turn down heat to medium-low:
5. Blend in the Mexican Crema and cream cheese
6. stir in the RO*TEL tomatoes.
7. Once mixture is well blended, add Frank’s Hot Sauce.
1 cup Mexican sour cream
1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
1 tablespoon lime juice
A handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped.
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
ENJOY DAN: HALLELIJAH!!
NORTH CAROLINA HILLYBILLY APPLE SONKER by DAN
SONKER IS AN APPALACHIAN TERM FOR A DEEP- DISH FRUIT PIE. BETTER KNOWN AS (COBBLER).
8 APPLES, PEELED, CORED AND SLICED
2 TABLESPOONS BUTTER
2 1/2 CUPS SUGAR
1/2 CUP ALL- PURPOSE FLOUR
1/2 TEASPOON CINNAMON
1 CUP WHIPPING CREAM
1 TEASPOON VANILLA
DOUGH FOR NORTH CAROLINA HILLBILLY APPLE SONKER**** RECIPE TO FOLLOW
1. PREHEAT OVER TO 350 DEGREES. GREASE A 10-INCH CAST IRON SKILLET WITH BUTTER.
2. PLACE THE APPLES, 2 CUPS OF the SUGAR, FLOUR, AND CINNAMON IN A LARGE MIXING BOWL. TOSS LIGHTLY TO COAT THE APPLES WITH THE SUGAR MIXTURE.
3. PLACE THE APPLES INTO THE PREHEATED SKILLET AND TOP WITH THE DOUGH FOR NORTH CAROLINA HILLBILLY APPLE SONKER. USING A PARING Knife, CUT 1-INCH STEAM HOLES IN THE TOP OF THE PASTRY FOR VENTILATION.
4. BAKE THE SONKER FOR 1 HOUR OR UNTIL CRUST IS GOLDEN BROWN. REMOVE FROM OVEN.
5. PLACE THE WHIPPING CREAM, 1/2 CUP SUGAR, AND VANILLA IN BOWL OF AN ELECTRIC MIXER. BEAT ON HIGH SPEED UNTIL SOFT PEAKS FORM, AND SERVE.
DOUGH: YEALDS 3 CRUSTS. FREEZE TWO FOR LATER USE.
2 TEASPONS VINEGAR
3 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 TEASPOON SALT
1/2 CUP BUTTER
1. BEAT THE EGG, 3/4 CUP TAP WATER, AND VINEGAR TOGETHER IN A BOWL.
2. SIFT TOGETHER THE FLOUR AND SALT IN LARGE MIXING BOWL.
3. USING YOUR HANDS, CRUMBLE THE BUTTER INTO THE FLOUR MIXTURE, BLENDING THOROUGHLY UNTIL MIXTURE RESEMBLES THE TEXTURE OF CORNMEAL. POUR IN THE WATER MIXTURE UNTIL THE DOUGH FORMS.
4. TURN THE DOUGH OUT ONTO A LIGHTLY FLOURED SURFACE AND KNEAD UNTIL SMOOTH.
5. DIVIDE INTO 3 EQUAL PORTIONS AND ROLL EACH CRUST INTO A CIRCLE UNTIL 1/4-INCH THICK.
ENJOY DAN: hallelujah
Monday, December 26, 2016
SAVORY DUTCH BABY by CHEF DAN:
3 farm fresh eggs, room temperature
3/4-cup milk, room temperature
3/4-cup all- purpose flour
1/2-teaspoon kosher salt
1/4-teaspoon EACH garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, and turmeric
2 tablespoon butter
1/2-cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
Sliced cherry tomatoes, avocado, fried eggs, chives, parsley
DIRECTIONS (PREHEAT OVEN TO 450 F)
1. place a cast-iron skillet place in a preheated oven.
2. Allow oven preheat for 15 -20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place 3 eggs, and next 7 ingredients in a blender.
4. Once the oven has preheated, pulse the blender until well combined
5. Carefully remove the preheat skillet from the oven.
6. Place butter into the pan, swirl the skillet to coat.
7. Pour the prepare batter into the hot pan.
8. Scatter the shredded cheese over the top.
9. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Turn the heat down to 250 F and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
11. Remove from the Dutch Baby form the oven and garnish as desired.
ENJOT DAN: SING SONG AND GATHER FRESH EGGS!!
CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL WITH BLACK-EYED PEAS by CHEF DAN:
2 whole cooked chickens
5 cups black-eyed peas1
(50 Oz) can whole corn
1 (50 Oz) can diced tomatoes
22 cups broth
4 tablespoon butter
2 bell peppers, chopped
12 garlic cloves
10 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons cumin
1/2- cup parsley
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
5 cups milk
3 pounds cream cheese
1. In a stock pot over medium-high heat add butter and when sizzling.
2. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic, bell peppers, carrots and potatoes, sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add broth and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat: cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Add chicken, tomatoes, cumin, cayenne, parsley, corn, black-eyed peas, salt and pepper.
7. Heat through.
8. Combine flour and milk until smooth.
9. Add to vegetables.
10. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!
Saturday, December 24, 2016
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH DRAGON FRUIT SALSA by CHEF DAN:
1 dragon fruit, finely diced
1 dragon fruit, finely diced
4 bacon strips, sliced
2 tablespoon chives, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
8 large scallops
Seas salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Put the dragon fruit in the fridge for 1 hour or so and allow to get cold.
2. In a skillet add bacon and cook until tender, remove from skillet and pat dry.
3. Season the scallops with salt and Seasoned Pepper Medley.
4. Cut bacon slice in half, wrap a half slice around circumference of each scallop, and secure with a toothpick.
5. Using the oil from bacon heat over medium-high heat, when sizzling.
6. Add scallops and sear the scallops until golden brown 2-3 minutes each side.
7. In a separate bowl, combine the dragon fruit, lemon juice, and chopped chives.
8. Top the scallops with the dragon fruit salsa and serve.
ENJOY DAN: HALLELUJAH!!
SPICY COWBOY CHILI IN THE CROCK POT by CHEF DAN:
1 pound steak, cubed bit-size
4 slices bacon
1 pound chorizo
1 whole garlic bulb
2 onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
THE GOOD STUFF:
2 dried ancho chilies, soaked in hot water until soft, then chop
1 (4 Oz) cans green chilies
2 (16 Oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 (105 Oz) cans RO*TEL hot tomatoes with chilies
1 (16 Oz) can corn
1 (16 Oz) _ bottle of dark I.P.A.
COWBOY STEAK SEASONING:
1/4-cup chili powder
1 tablespoon EACH coffee beans, dark freshly ground, paprika, cumin, brown sugar, and dark coco powder
1/2-teaspoon EACH cayenne, salt, dry mustard, ground coriander, ground black pepper, and green chipotle powder
DIRECTIONS: (PREHEAT OVEN TO 425 F)
1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb.
2. Cut off top and brush cut cloves with olive oil; wrap in foil and bake 40 minutes.
3. Turn crockpot to low.
4. Prepare the Cowboy Steak Seasoning following the separate posting.
5. Roll steak around in the seasoning mix until thoroughly coated.
6. In a skillet over medium-high heat add bacon, cook until crisp.
7. Remove bacon and pat dry with paper towels serving drippings, set aside.
8. Brown the steak in the bacon drippings, once browned place in crock pot.
9. Add chorizo to the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes, add to crockpot.
10. Add all “aromatics” including garlic to the fry pan and sweat them down, stirring occasionally for 5 min.
11. Transfer to crock pot.
12. Stir in all the “other good stuff” and the reserved bacon.
13. If there is not enough liquid add more beer.
14. Put on lid, and let mixture come to a simmer, after 4 hours taste, and adjust the seasoning and then let it simmer for another 2 hours.
15. The longer the better.
ENJOY DAN: HALLELUJAH!!