Thursday, January 22, 2015
JAPANESE UDON SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN ENJOY DAN:
JAPANESE UDON SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN by CHEF DAN:
45 cups or dashi stock, recipe to follow
1 cup white miso
2-cups soy sauce
1 tablespoon white sugar
3 pounds, sliced mushrooms
6 leeks, diced
2 pounds snow peas, bias cut in half
17 ribs of kale, chopped
5 pounds fresh udon noodles
DIRECTIONS FOR STOCK;
1. 12 cups water.
2. 5 sheets roasted seaweed, cut into strips.
3. Bring 12 cup of water to a boil.
4. Remove from heat and add seaweed, let sit for 30 minutes.
5. Cook udon noodles according to package directions,
6. Drain and set aside.
7. In the same stock-pot add reaming water and bring to a boil.
8. Add carrots, mirin, sugar, snow and peas, over medium-heat.
9. Add mushrooms and kale and cook for 10 minutes.
10. Place miso in a bowl and add a ladleful of hot both.
11. Whisk until the miso is completely dissolved, then stir into the soup.
12. Do not let soup come to a boil, or miso will lose some of the flavor.
13. Add soy sauce to taste.
14. Stir in udon noodles into the broth and cook for 3-4 minutes.
15. Add leeks and simmer for about 10 minutes.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!