Thursday, October 27, 2016
TEXAS COWBOY CHILI ENJOY DAN:
TEXAS COWBOY CHILI by CHEF DAN:
7 dried ancho chilies
5-New Mexico chilies
3 chili cascabel pods
3 chili mulato pods
6 chili japones pods
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 bottle I.P.A. beer
1 tablespoon sea salt plus 1-3/4-kosher salt, divided
1-3/4-black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon honey
7 tablespoon vegetable oil
6-pounds beef chuck, trimmed and cut into bite size pieces
2 onions, chopped
1 tablespoon EACH cumin, and habanero powder
4 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons EACH oregano, and turmeric
2 tablespoons EACH masa harina, maple syrup, and red wine vinegar
Lime wedges for serving
1. In a dry skillet over high heat toast the peppers in batches, until browned in spots bur not burned 30 to 40 seconds.
2. Toast garlic cloves in their skins in the same skillet, for 3 minutes.
3. Cur peppers in half lengthwise; remove stem and seeds.
4. Place chilies in a heatproof bowl.
5. Pour boiling water over chilies and submerge and soak for 45 minutes; reserve liquid.
6. Peel garlic cloves and place in a blender.
7. Add soaked chilies along with 4 cups reserved liquid.
8. Add 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and honey, puree until smooth.
9. Strain the puree through a fine-mesh sieve in a bowl using a spatula to press the puree through: set aside.
10. In a stock pot add 2 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat when sizzling.
11. Add of the beef, 1/2-teaspoon salt and 1/4-teaspoon pepper and lightly brown the meat, 6-8 minutes per batch.
12. Transfer to a bowl, reserve, and repeat with remaining 2 batches of beef, seasoning with 1/2-teaspoon salt and 1/4-teaspoon pepper.
13. Lower heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon oil, cook the onion with 1/4-teaspoon salt until soft stirring for 5 minutes.
14. Add cumin, and habanero powder stirring 11 more minute.
15. Add chili puree and bring to a simmer, add broth, browned meat, oregano, turmeric, maple syrup, and red wine vinegar.
16. Combine 2 cup water to the masa harina add to pot, and bring to a boil.
17. Reduce to simmer, and cook, uncovered for, until meat is tender and broth is thickened, about 3 hours.
18. Allow the chili to sit at least 1 hour or overnight to allow the flavors to meld.
19. Serve with lime wedges, sour cream, jalapeno or cilantro.
ENJOY DAN: HALLELUJAH!!