Monday, October 31, 2016
CHICKEN AND BACON CORN CHOWDER ENJOY DAN:
CHICKEN AND BACON CORN CHOWDER FOR THE TREE FARM WORKERS
by CHEF DAN:
6 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
4 onion, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
4 garlic cloves
4 springs fresh thyme
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1-1/2-quarts chicken broth from poaching.
1 pound bacon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2-teaspoon EACH nutmeg and smoked paprika
2 onions, diced
6 Yukon Gold potatoes
1 (16 Oz) bag frozen corn
3 cup heavy cream
Fresh ground black pepper
1. In a stock pot poach the chicken, and next 6 ingredients.
2. Add water to cover, at least 3 quarts.
3. Bring water to a simmer over medium-heat, skimming occasionally.
4. Simmer for about 40 minutes.
5. Drain the chicken mixture reserving the broth.
6. In a stock pot heat the bacon and olive oil over medium-heat.
7. Cook until the bacon is frim but not crisp, about 5 minutes.
8. Add the onions to the bacon and sauté for 5 more minutes.
9. Add the potatoes, corn, thyme, nutmeg, paprika and cook for about 8 minutes.
10. Add reserved broth, chicken, potatoes, corn and raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
11. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 12 minutes or until potatoes are soft
12. Add cream and simmer till heated through.
13. Season with salt and pepper.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!