Monday, February 2, 2015
BARLEY RISOTTO WITH MARSALA AND SHITAKE MUSHROOMS ENJOY DAN:
BARLEY RISOTTO WITH MARSALA AND SHITAKE MUSHROOMS
By CHEF DAN:
1/4-cup dried shitake mushrooms
2 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoon butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4-cup fresh snipped chives
1/3-cup Marsala wine
4 cups vegetarian broth plus I cup water
1/4-cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a Dutch oven add broth and water bring to a boil and add the Shitake mushrooms.
2. Remove from heat and let mushrooms sit for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from pot and coarsely chop.
4. Meanwhile in a skillet over medium-heat add oil and butter when sizzling.
5. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes.
6. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
7. Add chopped mushroom, barley and chives; stir until barley is golden brown.
8. Add Marsala and cook until Marsala it’s completely evaporated.
9. Reduce heat to medium-low, add I cup of the broth to the barley and cook stirring frequently, until liquid is almost evaporated.
10. Add another cup of broth and continue this step until the barley is tender and chewy, but still form in the center.
11. There should be some liquid left in the skillet.
12. You don’t want all the liquid absorbed.
13. Takes about 40 minutes.
14. Take off the heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
15. Season with and pepper.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!