Thursday, February 26, 2015
CAJUN RED BEANS AND RICE SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN ENJOY DAN:
CAJUN RED BEANS AND RICE SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN
By CHEF DAN:
4 cups dry red kidney beans
3 tablespoons vegetables oil
4 onions, chopped
3 green bell peppers, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1/3-cup garlic, crushed
7 stacks of celery, chopped
22-cup vegetable stock
8 bay leaves
2 teaspoon cayenne peppers
1 tablespoon EACH dried thyme, and Herbs de Province
1 teaspoon EACH dried sage and chili powder
1-1/2-tablespoon Cajun seasoning (recipe to follow)
2 pounds Genoa Salami, thinly sliced
15 cups water
7 cups rice
1. Rinse beans and soak overnight in a pot of water.
2. In a skillet heat oil over medium-heat when sizzling.
3. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic and celery, and sauté for 4 minutes.
4. Rinse beans and transfer to a stock-pot with 6 cups of water.
5. Stir in cooked vegetables into beans.
6. Season with bay leaves, and next 6 ingredients, simmer for 3 hours.
8. Salami into bean mixture and simmer for 30 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, prepare the rice in a pot with 6 cups of water.
10. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low cover and simmer 20 minutes.
11. Serve beans over white rice.
CAJUN SEASONING RECIPE:
2 tablespoon EACH onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil, and dried Herbs de Province
1 tablespoon EACH dried thyme, black pepper and white pepper
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
5 tablespoons smoked paprika
4 tablespoon seasoning salt (like Lawry’s seasoned salt)
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!