Sunday, July 2, 2017
HOE TO MAKE PRESERVED LEMONS ENJOY DAN:
HOW TO MAKE PRESERVED LEMONS by CHEF DAN:
Makes 1 quart
Preserve lemons are a condiment in South Asian and North Africa cuisine.
The pickle is ferment at room temperature for weeks or months before it is used.
The pulp is used in stews and sauces, but it is the peel that is most valued.
The flavor is mildly tart but intensely lemony.
Extra fresh squeezed lemon juice
Sterilized quart canning jar
1. Trim 1/4-inch off the top and bottom of each lemon.
2. Split each lemon lengthwise into quarters, keeping quarters connected at the base.
3. Transfer to a a bowl.
4. Toss with salt and sugar.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
6. The next day the lemon will release a lot of liquid.
7. Transfer entire contents to a sterilized Mason jar.
8. Press down until lemons are completely submerged.
ENJOY DAN: HEART AND SOUL IN THE KITCHEN!!