Wednesday, April 5, 2017
SPICY TOMATO AND LENTIL SOUP WITH ROASTED CHICKPEAS ENJOY DAN:
SPICY TOMATO AND LENTIL SOUP WITH ROASTED CHICKPEAS by CHEF DAN:
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4-cup roasted chickpeas, (recipe to follow)
1 chili pepper, chopped
1 cup lentils
1 (14.5 Oz) can RO*TEL tomatoes with green chilies
1 cup vegetable broth
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2-teaspoon EACH ground cumin, smoked paprika, and turmeric
1 teaspoon EACH dried basil, dried thyme, and dried oregano
1/4-Cup Mexican sour cream, for topping
2 spring fresh basil, for garnish
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and when sizzling.
2. Add onions, chili pepper and sauté for 4 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, and next 9 ingredients and bring to boil.
4. Cover reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. With immersion blender blend until almost smooth.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Add roasted chickpeas.
8. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
9. Top with fresh basil
ROASTED CHICKPEAS: (PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 F)
1. 1 (15.5 Oz) can chickpeas
2. 1 tablespoon olive oil
3. 1/2-teaspoon Moroccan Spices Mix
4. Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons ground cumin.
1 teaspoon ground coriander.
1/2-teaspoon EACH chili powder, paprika, ground cinnamon, ground allspice, ground ginger, and turmeric.
A pinch of ground cloves
1. Drain chickpeas into a colander and rinse well with cold water.
2. Let drain for 10 minutes, let dry for 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl mix allspice ingredients, mix in peas and mix to combine.
4. Arrange on a single layer baking sheet, roast for 30 minutes.
5. Stirring every 12 minutes. Seal in a Mason jar.
ENJOY DAN: SHARING LIFE LOVE AND FOOD!!