Friday, April 7, 2017
MATZO BALL SOUP WITH CARDAMOM AND TURMERIC ENJOY DAN:
MATZA BALL SOUP WITH CARDAMOM AND TURMERIC by CHEF DAN:
1 Onion, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, smashed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4-cup club soda
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 (4.5 Oz) box Streit’s Matzo Balls
1-1/2-teaspoons EACH ground cardamom, ground cardamom, and smoked paprika.
1/4-teaspoon Seasoned Black Pepper
3-1/2-kosher salt, divided
8 cups vegetables broth
2 carrots, peeled thinly sliced
1 bunch cilantro
2 lime, cut into wedges
1. Puree onion and garlic in a food processor.
2. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in eggs, oil, club soda, and lime zest.
3. Stir in matzo meal, and next 4 ingredients and 2 teaspoon salt.
4. Chill for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
5. Combine broth and 1-1/2-teaspoons salt in a stock pot.
6. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-heat.
7. Meanwhile, set bowl of matzo ball dough next to a bowl of water and a rimmed baking sheet.
8. Coat your hands with water and roll scant 2 tablespoons dough into a ball; place on sheet.
9. Repeat with remaining dough, about 16 balls.
10. Bring broth to a rapid simmer.
11. Gently drop in matzo balls, one at a time, then cover with a lid.
12. Return to rapid simmer, reduce heat, bring to gentle simmer.
13. Cook matzo balls, without uncovering. Cook for 35-45 minutes.
14. Add carrots and cook 1-2 minutes or until carrots are tender.
15. Remove from heat and season with salt.
16. Divide matzo balls and broth among bowl, top with cilantro.
17. Serve with lime wedges.
ENJOJ DAN: BE STRONG KEEP FAITH!!