Thursday, April 13, 2017
SHRIMP PAELLA ENJOY DAN:
SHRIMP PAELLA by CHEF DAN:
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (save shells for broth)
2 cup clam juice, or shrimp shell broth
3/4-cup white wine
1/2-teaspoon EACH saffron threads and turmeric
2-tablespoons olive oil
1/2-EACH diced onion and diced red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves
1 cup uncooked Arborio Rice
1 (10.5 Oz) can RO*TEL diced tomatoes with green chilies
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 (14 Oz) can artichokes hearts
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons fresh snipped chives
DIRECTIONS: (PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 F)
1. Sprinkle shelled shrimp all over with kosher salt, let sit 15 minutes.
2. In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat clam juice, wine, saffron and turmeric.
3. Reduce to low and keep broth hot (but not boiling).
4. In Paella Pan heat oil over medium-heat and when sizzling.
5. Add onion and bell pepper, stirring to blend and sauté 3 minutes.
6. Remove pan from the heat.
7. Stir in garlic and rice and continue stirring until garlic is fragrant and the rice is evenly coated with oil.
8. Return to heat, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring and rotating pan occasionally for about 15 minutes.
9. Make sue rice is not soupy but enough liquid remains to continue cooking in the oven.
10. Stir in shrimp and artichokes hearts and peas.
11. Transfer paella pan to the oven and cook, uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until rice is almost al dente.
12. Remove from the oven when rice grains are no longer hard but still have more bite than you want and a crust forms around edge of pan.
13. Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil, let sit 15 minutes.
14. Squeeze lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with chives.
15. Arrange lemon wedges around the top of the paella.
ENJOY DAN: HEAT AND SOUL IN THE KITCHEN!!