Friday, November 4, 2016
SHAKSHUKA WITH CHICKPEAS ENJOY DAN:
SHAKSHUKA WITH CHICKPEAS by CHEF DAN:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 (15.5 Oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons EACH cumin and sumac
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 (10.5 Oz) cans RO*TEL tomatoes with green chilies
1/3-cup vegetable stock
2 pieces pita bread
1/2-cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped mint
DIRECTIONS: (PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 375 F)
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-heat when sizzling.
2. Add onion and garlic; sauté, stirring for 5 minutes.
3. Add chickpeas, cumin, sumac and a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Stir well to coat.
5. Add tomatoes and vegetables stock, bring to a simmer.
6. Stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
7. Make 8 wells in the sauce and crack an egg into each, don’t break the yolks.
8. Run a spatula through egg whites to distribute them.
9. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until egg whites are just set about 10-12 minutes.
10. Wrap the pita bread in foil and warm in the oven, about 5 minutes.
11. Cut into wedges.
12. Combine yogurt, hummus and a pinch of salt and pepper.
13. Serve with pita bread and hummus sauce.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!