Saturday, November 5, 2016
PUMPKIN AND LENTIL SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN ENJOY DAN:
PUMPKIN AND LENTIL SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN by CHEF DAN:
1/4-cup vegetable oil
7 onions, chopped
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons EACH ground coriander, turmeric and smoked paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
4 fresh pumpkin
9 potatoes, cubed
2-1/2- pounds red lentils, washed
22 cups vegetable stock
1/4-cup dried parsley
DIRECTIONS: (PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 F)
1. Cut and remove seed from the pumpkins and place on baking sheet.
2. Sprinkle with oil and place in preheated oven, bake for 50-60 minutes.
3. Remove and let cool, when cool scrape out the fleshy meat, set aside.
4. In a stock-pot heat remaining oil over medium-heat when sizzling.
5. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
6. Stir in spices and cook for 1 minutes.
7. Add potatoes, lentils, and stock.
8. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
9. Add cooked pumpkin and simmer for another 30 minutes.
10. With an immersion blender, blend until almost smooth.
11. Top with dried parsley.
ENJOY DAN: SING SONGS AND PLANT PUMPKIN SEEDS!!