Friday, July 22, 2016
DAN'S SEAFOOD GUMBO MY WAY ENJOY DAN:
DAN’S SEAFOOD GUMBO MY WAY by CHEF DAN:
1/2-cup vegetable oil, divided
2 (16 Oz) packages frozen okra, thawed
1 tablespoon white vinegar
4 quarts of water
2 pounds cooked ham, cubed
3 onions, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
1 bell pepper, diced
1 (10.5 Oz) can RO*TEL tomatoes with green chilies
4 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 pounds, boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
2-teaspoons TABASCO chipotle pepper sauce
1/4-teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Heat 1/4-cup oil, in a skillet over medium-heat when sizzling.
2. Add okra and sauté, stirring frequently for about 30 minutes.
3. Add vinegar, and cook another 10 minutes, or until reduced by half.
4. Spoon okra into a bowl and set aside.
5. Bring water to a boil in a stockpot over medium-high heat.
6. Meanwhile add reaming oil to the skillet over medium-high heat when sizzling.
7. Add ham, chicken and sauté for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. Remove ham & chicken to the stockpot.
9. In the same skillet, combine onions, celery, garlic and bell pepper.
10. Cook 10 minutes and when vegetables are cooked through add to stockpot along with okra and tomatoes.
11. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
12. Reduce to very low, add shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
13. Serve gumbo win soup bowl with mounds of rice.
ENJOY DAN: HALLELUJAH!!