Sunday, February 21, 2016
SHELLFISH GUMBO WITH SHRIMP CLAMS CRAYFISH AND OYSTERS ENJOY DAN:
SHELLFISH GUMBO WITH SHRIMP CLAMS CRAYFISH OYSTERS by CHEF DAN:
(J-BOB’S SECOND GRADUATION PARTY)
1-1/2-cups vegetable oil
2-1/2-cups all purpose flour
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
5 stalks celery, diced
2 (15.5 Oz) and diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons EACH Frank’s red hot sauce, Louisiana Hot Sauce and Cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Sea salt and Seasoned Pepper Medley to taste
15 cups shrimp stock (recipe to follow)
1/2-cup fresh snipped chives
1 pound crayfish tails
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
18 chucked oysters
1 pound EACH mussels and clams, in the shell and cleaned
1. In a skillet heat the oil over medium-low heat until just warm.
2. Gradually stir in the flour, and stir until mixture turns into “peanut butter “brown and darkened about 15-20 minutes.
3. This is your roux.
4. Once roux is browned, increase temperature to medium-high heat.
5. Add the bell pepper, onions, garlic, celery, to the skillet and sauté for 6-8 minutes.
6. Stir in shrimp stock diced tomatoes, chives, Frank’s hot sauce and next 5 ingredients.
7. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Add the crayfish, shrimp, oysters, mussels, and clams.
9. Cook about 5 minutes or until the shrimp are opaque and shells are opened.
10. Discard unopened shells.
11. Serves with hot cooked rice.
Take shells from the shrimp, add to 15 cups boiling water, along with 1 thumb-size fresh ginger, slice, 4 cloves garlic, onion, shallots skins, celery ends 12 peppercorns and sea salt.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Drain through a strainer and reserve liquid, discard solids.
ENJOY DAN: PLANT SEEDS & SING SONGS: