Thursday, February 18, 2016
DEEP SOUTH CORNMEAL HOECAKES ENJOY DAN:
DEEP SOUTH CORNMEAL HOECAKES by CHEF DAN:
Makes about 6
(Hoecakes got there name because slaves use to cook them in the fields on a garden hoe)
1-1/2-cups self-rising cornmeal (recipe to follow)
1/2-teaspoon sea salt
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Mix cornmeal, buttermilk, egg and salt together.
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat and when sizzling.
3. Drop by spoon full into hot oil.
4. Brown on one side then turn and fry until golden brown on both sides.
5. Serve with butter, syrup or jam.
SELF RISING CORNMEAL MIX: (Yields 1/2- cups)
1/4- cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
A splash of sea salt
ENJOY DAN: PLANT SEEDS & SING SONGS: