Monday, September 26, 2016
OVEN ROASTED HASH BROWN CAKES ENJOY DAN:
OVEN ROASTED HASH BROWN CAKES by CHEF DAN:
1 onion, cut on a mandolin for very thin slices
1-1/2-2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled, coarsely grated on large holes of box grater, about 3 cups
2 teaspoon salt divided
1/2-teaspoon EACH dried thyme, garlic powder, & paprika
2 tablespoons butter, melted
INSTRUCTIONS: (preheat oven 425 F then 350 F)
1. Place prepared foil on a baking sheet.
2. Place onions in a bowl.
3. Toss potatoes with 1 teaspoon salt in bowl.
4. Let stand 5 minutes.
5. Using your hands, squeeze liquid out of the potatoes.
6. Add potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt & melted butter & spices to the onions.
7. Toss to coat.
8. Divide mixture into 6 mounds on the baking sheet, spacing apart.
9. Roast 15 minutes, then turn mounds over with a spatula, pressing down to flatten, reshape them to maintain space.
10. Reduce temperature to 350 F.
11. Bake until cakes are golden brown and crisp, 45 minutes longer.
12. Flip the cakes again and bake another 15 minutes.
ENJOY DAN: SING SONGS & PLANT POTATOES!!