Friday, September 23, 2016
BERDENE’S HALLOWEEN PARTY TURKEY BREAST ON THE TRAGER GRILL
By CHEF DAN:
Serves 5-7 pounds
1 (33 Oz) jug of Washington Gold Cider
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3-cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon EACH ground allspice & ground coriander
1/3-cup coarse salt
3 bay leaves
4 cup ice water
1 (5-7-pound turkey breast
1/2-cup butter, plus 2 tablespoons
1. Combine 20 ounces of W. G. Cider and next 6 ingredients in soup pot.
2. Simmer on stove top for 5 minutes.
3. Take off stove & pour ice water.
4. Place turkey in the brine and adding water as need to fully submerge the turkey breast.
5. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
1. Bring to a boil remaining Washington Golden Cider in a saucepan.
2. Sommer until reduced to a 1/4-cup, about 15 minutes.
3. Whisk in 1/2-cup butter
1. Drain turkey breast and rinse.
2. Using your fingers, take 2 tablespoons of the soften butter and smare it under the skin of the breast.
3. Lightly season the turkey breast Zhoug (recipe to follow).
4. Start the Trager grill on smoke, lid open until fire is established 4-5 minutes.
5. Turn grill to 325 F and preheat for 10-15 minutes.
6. Cook turkey breast until internal temperature reaches 165 F 3-4 hours.
7. After the first 20 minutes of cooking, brush turkey with the cider glaze.
8. Let rest for 10 minutes, slice & enjoy.
ZHOUG RECIPE: (makes 2 cups)
2 bunches cilantro (leaves & stems, chopped
2 serrano’s peppers, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2-teaspoon EACH ground cumin, ground coriander ground cloves and cardamom & a pinch of salt
Place all ingredients in a blender & blend into a course paste.