Monday, September 19, 2016
SMOKED ROASTED CHICKEN WITH JAPANESE 7 SPICE ON THE TRAEGER GRILL ENJOY DAN:
SMOKE ROASTED CHICKEN WITH JAPANESE 7 SPICE ON THE TRAEGER GRILL
By CHEF DAN:
1 (4-4-1/2 -pound whole chicken
2 tablespoons Japanese 7 spice (recipe to follow)
6 tablespoon butter
1 scallion, bias sliced into 1/2--inch slices, white& green parts finely minced
1 garlic clove, finely minced
2 tablespoon fresh herbs, plus extra for roasting, such as thyme, rosemary, oregano, or mint
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1. In a bowl combine butter, and next 4 ingredients.
2. Add 1-1/2-tablespoons Japanese 7 spice, and lemon juice, blend well.
3. Wash the chicken inside & outside with cold running water.
4. Dry thoroughly with paper towels.
5. Sprinkle the remaining Japanese 7 spice in the cavity.
6. Smear the outside of the chicken with the butter-herb mixture and Japanese 7 spice mixture.
7. When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on smoke with the lid open until the fire is established (4-5 minutes).
8. Oil the grill grate with Pam.
9. Place the chicken on the grill grate, breast-side up and close lid.
10. After 1 hour lift the lid, if the chicken is browning too quickly.
11. Cover with aluminum foil.
12. Close the lid and roast until internal temperature is 165 F.
13. Let rest for 5 minutes.
JAPANESE 7 SPICE RECIPE:
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
3 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns
1 teaspoon EACH dried nori (seaweed) ground ginger & poppy seeds
3-teaspooons EACH chili powder (togarashi) & dried tangerine peel
1. Grind the sesame seeds & Szechuan seeds coarsely.
2. Add the nori & dried tangerine peel and grind briefly.
3. Stir remaining spices and blend well.
ENJOY DAN: SING SONGS & PLANT SEEDS