Tuesday, March 10, 2015
SHAHI PANEER INDIAN INDIAN RECIPE ENJOY DAN:
SHAHI PANEER INDIAN RECIPE by CHEF DAN:
Serves 4 (WITH HELP FROM SUNRISE DENTAL ON THE WORDS)
2 cups Paneer (cottage cheese or ricotta cheese)
1/2-cups strained stock (got form boiling the onions with seeds and spices)
1/4-cup yogurt (thick dahi)
1/4-cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon coriander powder, (dhania powder)
1/4-teasspon red chili powder (lla mirch powder)
1/2--teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
1/2- teaspoon fennel seed (saunf sanchai) roasted and made into a powder
1/2- teaspoon pinjabi garam masala powder (recipe to follow)
1/2-teaspoon cardamom powder (elaichi powder
1/8-teaspoon saffron (kesar, crushed)
3 or 4 black peppercorns (kali mirche)
FOR THE PASTE:
1 onion roughly chopped
2 tablespoons cashews (kaju)
1 tablespoon almonds (badam)
1 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
3 garlic cloves, chopped (lahsun)
1-inch fresh ginger, chopped (adrak)
GARAM MASALA RECIPE: (makes 1 cup)
1/2-cup whole coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
1/4-cup whole cumin seeds (sabut jeera)
2 cloves (Laung)
3-4 star anise (chakraa phool)
2 cardamoms (hari eiaichi)
1-inch cinnamon (dal chini)
1 nutmeg (jalphai)
1. Paste: boil onions, and next 5 ingredients in 1-1/2-cups of water for 8-10 minutes.
2. Strain the stock and save the liquid, set aside.
3. Make a paste out of the boiled onion mixture add 2 teaspoons strained water.
4. In a cast-iron skillet fry all garam masala ingredients until they start popping.
5. When spices are cool add to a spice grinder and make a powder.
6. In a skillet over medium-heat, add boiled onion mixture and sauté until the oil starts to leave the sides of paste.
7. Reduce heat to low, add the yogurt, coconut milk and strained water, and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
8. Add the cardamom powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric, fennel powder, garam masala, saffron and peppercorns.
9. Stir in the paneer (cottage cheese or ricotta cheese).
10. Garnish shahi paneer with coriander leaves and serve with jeera rice or rotis, or naan.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!