Friday, June 16, 2017
L.L. WHITE FISH PROVENCAL ENJOY DAN:
L.L. WHITE FISH PROVENCAL by CHEF DAN:
4 (6 Oz) firm white fish fillets like cod, snapper, or catfish)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 red bell peppers
1 zest of one lemon, and juice of one lemon
1 garlic clove
1 fennel bulb
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 (24 Oz) POMI chopped tomatoes (from Italy)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
10 oil-cured black olives, pitted and sliced
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon capers in brine, drained
1 tablespoon EACH chopped fresh tarragon, chopped fresh parsley, and chopped fresh oregano
A handful fresh basil for garnish
1. Neatly trim fish fillets.
2. Score the skin of each filets 3-4 times at regular intervals.
3. Lay fish in a shallow dish and sprinkle both sides of the fillets with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Set aside and chill overnight.
5. Deseed and finely slice the peppers, then finely grate the garlic and lemon zest over the peppers.
6. Slice the fennel on a mandolin, then tip half the fennel into a bowl of ice water, set aside.
7. Brush the salt off the fish.
8. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high, when sizzling.
9. Add fish skin side down, for 4 minutes until the skin is crisp and brown.
10. Remove from pan.
11. Put 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-heat, when sizzling.
12. Fry the fennel and the marinated peppers for about 5 minutes.
13. Thrown in the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, cook for 3 minutes.
14. Scatter over the olives and next 5 ingredients toss together.
15. Nestle the fish fillets, skin-side up, around the vegetables.
16. Lower the heat to simmer, uncovered and simmer for 6 minutes.
17. Lift the fish from the skillet and give the sauce a final simmer, and stir, and then turn of the heat.
18. Drain the reserved fennel and pat dry with paper towels.
19. Toss with lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons oil.
20. Spoon the vegetables on dinner plates and top with fennel salad.
21. sit the fish skin-side up and drizzle with olive oil.
22. Top with fresh basil.
ENJOY DAN: SHARING LIFE, LOVE, AND FOOD!!