Monday, December 22, 2014
SALT- BAKED FRESH TROUT STUFF WITH HERBS ENJOY DAN:
SALT BAKED FRESH TROUT STUFFED WITH HERBS AND LEMON
By CHEF DAN:
2 whole trout (3/4-pounds) each or I whole fish, about 1-1/2-pounds
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 lemons, thinly sliced
3 cups sea salt mixed with 2 cups coarse salt and I cup fine salt
1/2-teaspoon dried dill, 3 spring fresh dill
1/2-teaspoon dried tarragon, or 3 spring fresh tarragon
1/4-teaspoon smoky paprika
1 egg white
DIRECTIONS: (PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 400 DEGREES)
1. Stuff each fish cavity with lemons, herbs, and paprika.
2. Very lightly cover the whole outside for fish with oil.
3. In a bowl, mix together the salts and the egg white.
4. Add water a bit at a time until the mixture reaches a consistency of wet sand.
5. On a rimmed baking sheet, create a layer of the salt mixture about the size of the 2 fish, 1/4-inch thick.
6. Place the fish on the bed, and mound the salt around each fish, about 1/4-inch thick, creating a tight seal.
7. Leave head and tail peeping out.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
9. Remove fish oven and using a spatula, crack salt crust ad remove (it should come off in one large piece.
10. Let fish sit for 5 minutes before serving.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!