Monday, December 8, 2014
HUNGARIAN MUSHROOM SOUP FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN ENJOY DAN:
ULTIMATE HUNGARIAN MUSHROOM SOUP by CHEF DAN:
1/2- cup butter
2 cups toasted barley
8 onions, chopped
4 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoon dried dill
1/4-cup Hungarian paprika
1/4-cup soy sauce
12 cups chicken broth or vegetarian broth
5 cup milk
3/4-cup all-purpose flour
1 (14.5 Oz) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
1/4-cup lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 cups sour cream
1. Melt the butter in a stock-pot over medium-heat when sizzling.
2. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
4. Stir in dill paprika, soy sauce, and broth into the mushroom mixture.
5. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Whisk the milk and flour together in a bowl.
7. Stir the mixture into the soup.
8. Add roasted barley, diced tomatoes and chipotle powder.
9. Cover and simmer another 20 minutes.
10. Season with salt and [pepper.
11. Mix in sour cream and lemon juice and continue cooking until soup begins to thicken about 15 minutes.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!