Thursday, December 11, 2014
MUSHROOM AND ROASTED GARLIC RISOTTO ENJOY DAN:
MUSHROOM AND ROASTED GARLIC RISOTTO by CHEF DAN:
2 whole garlic heads
5 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2-cup Madeira, divided
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
10 crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 ounce Shitake (dried black mushrooms)
1-1/2-cups of Royal Italian Superfine Arborio
1/4-cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2-teaspoon EACH sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons fresh chives
DIRECTIONS: (PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 425 DEGREES)
1. Cut the top of each garlic head; discard.
2. Rub cut side of each garlic head with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
3. Remove papery skin from garlic heads.
4. Wrap garlic in foil and bake for 1 hour; let cool for 12 minutes.
5. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp.
6. Combine garlic pulp with 2 tablespoon Madeira; mash with a fork.
7. Bring 1-1/2-cups broth to a boil, add dried mushrooms.
8. Let stand 30 minutes or until soft, then chop.
9. Drain through a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid.
10. Combine mushroom liquid with 3-1/2- cup broth.
11. Bring to simmer in a sauce pan, and keep warm.
12. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-heat, add oil, when sizzling.
13. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes; add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
14. Add crimini and Shitake mushrooms, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
15. Add rice; sauté 1 minute stirring constantly.
16. Add remaining Madeira; cook 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed.
17. Stir in 1-1/2-cups broth; coo k 4 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
18. Add remaining broth 1/2-cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minute’s total).
19. Reserve 1/3-cup broth for the last addition.
20. Remove from heat, stir in garlic mixture, reaming broth, butter, cheese, salt and pepper, and chives.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!