Thursday, December 4, 2014
CHICKEN BREASTS WITH HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE ENJOY DAN:
CHICKEN BREASTS WITH HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE by CHEF DAN:
2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2-teaspoons dried thyme
Sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
4 bone-in chicken breast
1 onion finely chopped
1/2-teaspoon EACH dried sage and dried mint
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup homemade cranberry sauce (recipe to follow)
1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
DIRECTIONS: (PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 450 DEGREES)
1. In a bowl mix together 1 tablespoon butter, 1-teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
2. Place chicken skin-side upon a prepared baking sheet.
3. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a sauce-pan over medium-heat.
5. When sizzling, add onion, sauté for 5 minutes.
6. Add sage, mint, and remaining thyme, sauté 1 minute.
7. Add broth; simmer until reduced to 1-1/2-cups 12-15 minutes.
8. Strain mixture and return to sauce to saucepan.
9. Add cranberries and sugar, bring to a boil and whisk in cornstarch.
10. cook until slightly thickened and remove from heat.
11. To serve spoon sauce over chicken..
HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE:
1 pound fresh cranberries, washed and dried
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1/4-teaspoon EACH nutmeg, and raisins
1 orange, zested and juiced
1. In a pot combine the cranberries, sugar and water.
2. Stir to blend.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-het.
4. Reduce to simmer and add the cinnamon stick, allspice, nutmeg, and raisins.
5. Simmer for about 7 minutes.
6. Some of the cranberries will burst and some will remain whole.
7. Add orange juice and zest.
8. Allow to cool before serving.
ENJOY DAN: BOUN-APPETITE!!