Tuesday, August 1, 2017
HOME MADE SAUERKRAUT MY WAY ENJOY DAN:
HOME MADE SAUERKRAUT MY WAY by CHEF DAN:
Makes 2-quart Mason jars.
1/2-heat of cabbage in each quart jar, discard the wilted leaves
10 juniper berries
1 teaspoon EACH caraway seeds, yellow mustard seeds and fennel seeds
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 thumb-size fresh ginger, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon pickling salt in each jar
1 cup filtered water
3 teaspoon pickling salt
1. Cut cabbage into quarters and then cut into ribbons.
2. In a bowl place cabbage and next 6 ingredients.
3. Add pickling salt and stir to release juices.
4. Let rest 1-2 hours.
5. Sterilize 2-quart jars.
6. Pack the cabbage and seasoning into each sterilized jar.
7. Add to the rim of the jar,
8. Place a cabbage leave over the top to hold cabbage mixture from sliding up.
9. Keep jar between 65 F to 72 F for 2-3 weeks.
10. Press cabbage down every few hours for the next 24 hours.
11. After bubbles stops, check container and top off with salt water.
12. 1-teaspoon picking salt per cup of water, if the level falls below the ridge.
13. Skim off any (harmless) white spots or film from the top.
14. Close jar tightly and store in the refrigerator for several months.
ENJOY DAN: SING SONG AND EAT CABBAGE!!