Monday, August 7, 2017
CURRY KRAUT MY WAY ENJOY DAN:
CURRY KRAUT MY WAY by CHEF DAN.
Makes 1 quart (BRITT’S PICKLE-AEOR)
1 head cabbage
1 carrot, grated
1 apple, grated
1/2-onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1-inch fresh ginger peeled and grated
1 teaspoon EACH Tandoori masala, garam masala, and curry powder
1/2-teaspoons EACH ground cumin, ground coriander, ground fenugreek and turmeric
2 slices roasted seaweed
1. Using a microplane, grate the ginger and garlic.
2. Place in a mixing bowl.
3. Using a box grinder to shred the carrots, onion, and the apple.
4. Toss into the salad bowl, with a little sea salt.
5. Cut cabbage in quarters in the directions of the core.
6. Shred the cabbage with a mandolin, should be thinly shredded.
7. Add to the salad bowl with 1 tablespoon salt sea salt and place all the spices on top and seaweed.
8. With your hand squeeze and massage the mixture, takes 5 minutes.
9. This releases the water and an overall reduction in volume of veggies.
10. Load Britt’s pickle jar with a few handfuls of cabbage mixture at a time.
11. Pack each layer of cabbage mixture using your fist or a muddler to remove the air.
12. Fill to about 2-inches from the top.
13. Add ceramic weights, to compress the mixture.
14. Place In a cool (64-72) location away from direct sunlight.
15. Taste sauerkraut after 10 days will be young taste after 20 days.
16. If kraut begins to soften move to the refrigerator.
17. To preserve the vibrant color, wrap the jar in a towel.
18. Make sure to keep the air lock exposed.