Thursday, August 4, 2016
BEEF BARLEY SOUP WITH FENNEL FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN ENJOY DAN:
BEEF BARLEY SOUP WITH FENNEL FOR THE SOUP KITCHEN by CHEF DAN:
8 pounds beef round steak, cut into cubes
4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
4 pound beef oxtails
6 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
8 stalks of celery, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 (16 Oz) cans diced tomatoes
3 (16 Oz) package frozen mixed vegetables
4 cups barley
3 cup quinoa
3 tablespoons EACH parsley flakes, & dried basil
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sea salt
18 cups water mixed with 6 beef bouillon cubes
1 bunch Banquet Garni (recipe to follow)
1. Heat the 2 tablespoons oil on a stock pot over medium-heat when sizzling.
2. Add oxtails, seasoned with salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until browned all over.
3. Remove oxtails with a slotted spoon.
4. Add remaining oil in the stock pot over medium-high heat when sizzling.
5. Add meat cubes and brown on all sides.
6. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and sauté with meat for 10 minutes.
7. Add the tomatoes, mixed vegetables, parsley basil, fennel seeds, Banquet Garni, salt and pepper.
8. Reduce head cover and simmer for10 minutes.
9. Add the beef broth and bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour.
10. Remove Banquet Garni and serve.
4 spring’s fresh thyme
4 spring’s fresh parsley
4 spring’s fresh rosemary
Tie with kitchen twine and place in soup.
ENJOY DAN: HALLELUJAH!!