Sunday, November 16, 2014
SWEET POTATO APPLE GRATIN ENJOY DAN:
SWEET POTATO APPLE GRATIN by CHEF DAN:
2 tablespoon olive oil
4 sweet potatoes, peeled, and sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
3-Granny Smith apples, peeled, halved, cored and sliced 1/8-inch thick
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1-thumb-size fresh ginger, minced
1/3-cup dates, chopped
1/2-cup apple cider
1/4-cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4-teaspoons EACH nutmeg, ground mace
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS: (PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES)
1. Spray the insides of a 6-cup baking dish.
2. Add oil to a sauté pan over medium-heat when sizzling.
3. Add shallots, ginger, curry powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add chopped dates, apple cider, maple syrup, rum and sauté for 1 minute.
5. Place sweet potatoes and apples in a large bowl.
6. Pour shallot curry mixture over them.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Neatly arrange the layer of potatoes–apple mixture into the prepared baking dish.
9. Pour any reaming shallot-curry mixture over the top.
10. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
11. Remove the aluminum foil and bake an additional 20 minutes, or when the potatoes are fork tender and top is lightly browned.
ENJOY DAN: BUON-APPETITE!!