Saturday, March 12, 2016
THAI CHICKEN STEW WITH LEMONGRASS AND RICE NOODLES ENJOY DAN:
THAI CHICKEN STEW WITH LEMONGRASS AND RICE NOODLES by CHEF DAN:
2 lemongrass stalks, trimmed, tough outer layers removed, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves
Zest of 2 lines
1 thumb-size fresh ginger, chopped
2 jalapenos, with seeds removed
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 2-inch pieces
Sea salt and Seasoned Pepper Medley to taste
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 whole star anise pods
1 cinnamon stick
1/2-cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/4-cup brown sugar
4 scallions, bias sliced into 1/2-inch lengths
8 ounces rice noodles
1. Pour hot boiling water over rice noodles and let rest 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. Process lemongrass and next 4 ingredients in a food processor, pulse until smooth.
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat add oil and when sizzling.
4. Add chicken and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until browned, set aside.
5. Cook lemongrass paste in the same skillet, stirring for 5-7 minutes.
6. Add star anise and next 4 ingredients plus the chicken.
7. Add 10 cups water and bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
8. Add shallots and carrots to the stew, partially cover and cook 40 minutes.
9. Divide drain noodles among bowls and ladle stew over the top.
10. Add more scallions and serve with lime wedges.