Thursday, March 10, 2016
CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE WITH HORSERADISH SAUCE ENJOY DAN:
CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE WITH HORSERADISH SAUCE by CHEF DAN:
22 cups water
8 envelops Au Jus Mix
2 (4 pound) packages of corn beef
3 tablespoons Seasoned Pepper Medley
2 heads cabbage, cored and cut into 10 wedges
15 carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
15 potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters
4 onions cut into quarters
Olive oil for searing
1 bottle Guinness
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2-cup brown sugar
Horseradish sauce (recipe to follow)
DIRECTIONS: (PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 350 F)
1. Place the brisket fat side up in a baking pan.
2. Sprinkle spice packet over the top and rub in the pepper.
3. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 2-1/2-hours.
4. Uncover and bake 1-hour longer.
5. In a saucepan add balsamic vinegar and sugar, bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until thick, set aside.
7. Pour balsamic mixture in the bottom of the pan then place cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions in a prepared baking dish, drizzle with oil and season with S. &. P. bake for 1 hour.
8. Slice (or shred) the roasted beef on a cutting board.
9. In a stock pot over medium-high heat add water and Au Jus Mix.
10. Reduce heat; add veggies and simmer for 1 hour.
11. Add shredded brisket and simmer for 20 minutes.
HORSERADISH SAUCE: (MAKES 5 CUPS)
2 cups EACH mayonnaise and sour cream
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons EACH salt and black pepper.
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
ENJOY DAN: BON-APPETITE!!