Saturday, March 26, 2016
JAPANESE ROASTED CHICKEN WITH JAPANESE 7 SPICES ENJOY DAN:
JAPANESE ROASTED CHICKEN WITH JAPANESE 7 SPICES by CHEF DAN:
2 (4-5 pound) whole roasting chicken
2 tablespoons Japanese 7 Spice (recipe to follow)
3 1 navel orange cut lengthwise into 8 slices
4 4 carrots, peeled and left whole
5 4 baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
6 1 tablespoon butter
7 2 tablespoon grape-seed oil
8 Sea salt to taste
9 1 cup chicken broth
10 1 teaspoon roosted sesame oil
11 Sea salt and Seasoned Pepper Medley to taste
DIRECTIONS: (PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 500 F THEN REDUCE HEAT TO 350 F)
1. Pat the skin of chicken and cavity dry.
2. Sprinkle 7 spice all over outside and inside cavity.
3. Add oranges to the cavity of the chicken.
4. Place chicken in a prepared baking dish, breast down.
5. Roast for 20 minutes; remove from oven and turn breast side up.
6. Add carrots and bok choy around chicken.
7. Drizzle with oil, S. &. P. to taste.
8. Reduce heat to 350 and roast for 1 hour or until internal temperature is 170 F.
9. Brush with butter the last 5 minutes of cooking
10. Remove from oven ; remove oranges from the cavity.
11. Place chicken and vegetables on a cutting board let rest.
12. Squeeze juices into the pan then add broth to the pan over medium-high heat, scraping up brown bites from pan.
13. Bring to a boil for 8 minutes or until liquid has reduced 1/2-cup.
14. Remove from heat and whisk in sesame oil.
JAPANESE 7 SPICE:
1/2-sheet nori, (dried seaweed)
2-tablespoons dried orange peel
3-teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons Sesame Seeds
1 teaspoon EACH ground ginger, and poppy seeds
1/4-dteaspoon White Pepper
1. Process nori in food processor until flakes form.
2. Mix remaining spices and pulse until blended together.
ENJOY DAN: PLANT SEEDS & SING SONGS!!