Friday, April 1, 2016
BENGALI STYLE DAAL AND SAFFRON RICE ENJOY DAN:
BENGALI STYLE DAAL AND SAFFRON RICE FOR SLOW FOOD POTLUCK
By CHEF DAN:
2 onions, chopped
1 thumb-size fresh ginger, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon grape-seed oil
2 cups red lentils
8 cups water
1 (10 Oz) can RO*TEL diced tomatoes & green chilies
1-1/2-teaspoons EACH turmeric, and Tandoori Masala
1 teaspoon EACH mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, and fennel seeds.
Sea salt and Seasoned Pepper Medley to taste
3 cups jasmine rice
6 cups of water
2 pinches of saffron 1 teaspoon EACH olive oil and hot water.
1. In a dry skillet over medium-heat add seeds and when they start to pop take off heat and let cool.
2. When cool grind in a spice grinder.
3. Cook rice according to package directions.
4. When rice is done, combine saffron, olive oil and hot water in a bowl and let sit 2 minutes.
5. Pour saffron mixture over rice and fluff.
6. In a skillet add 1 tablespoon grape-seed oil and when sizzling.
7. Add onion, garlic, ginger and sauté 3 minutes.
8. Add lentils, water, tomatoes, salt and turmeric.
9. Reduce heat cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until lentils are soft.
10. Remove from heat, and stir in Seasoned Pepper.
11. Stir ground spices into the Daal.
12. Blend Daal with an immersion blender and serve with rice.
ENJOY DAN: SING SONGS AND PLANT SEEDS!!